Saturday, December 17, 2011

Is it possible to pay an institution using credit card without disclosing pin number?

I wanted to pay an institution through mail. They wanted me to provide my credit card number and said that was enough. Do I need to send my pin number along with it. How can they get the payment with just the credit card number?|||Usually when paying by credit card, you need to provide only the card number and expiration date.





Most real credit cards don't even *have* PINs. PINs are ordinarily only required when using your debit card at an ATM or point of purchase (swiping the card at the grocery store, for example).





You may also need to provide the security code found on the back of the card. Not all vendors require this number. If they need it, they'll ask for it.|||Check the terms of your debit card but most of them allow a "pay by credit" option where the transaction is treated as a credit card transaction and no PIN is required, if you're really talking about a debit card. I've never assigned a PIN number to my credit card.|||Tell them you don't have a pin number on your CREDIT card.


I have never had one.


If they mailed it to me, I simply threw it away.


What they are doing sounds scammy to me.





If you are using a checking account DEBIT card, yes, give them your pin.


/

No comments:

Post a Comment