Monday, December 12, 2011

How can I get a credit card for a teenager?

I need to find out where I can get a credit card for my seventeen year old. I need him to build credt before entering college in the fall. I heard capital one had one with like a 300 dollar limit for 18 a dollars a month or so. I cant seem to find where this is. I found several sites that show information, but nothing resourceful. Please help me or atleast direct me in the right direction.|||DO NOT GO WITH CAPITAL ONE!! they hit you with all sorts of fees if you miss one payment they slam you with a $29.00 fee. go to the bank that you(or he) does the banking with and ask them what would be the best way to get his credit up and running. it may be a personal line of credit or it could end up being a credit card.|||Capital one had me fooled.I got a cc for my 14 year old thinking that since I pay every month her credit would be good. But then I found out from a supervisor that it doesn't because it's all under my social security #. They said the best thing to do is wait until they're 18(apparently it's only legal to use their ssn after 18) %26amp; co sign on a loan for them. But if the manager was wrong %26amp; you find a place, please let me know thanks|||The only correct answer to your situation is to ignore your question, and tell you to NOT try to get a credit card for your teenager.





You do NOT need him to build credit, and he does NOT need to build credit before entering college.





What he really DOES need is to have a small part time job or business activity to pay the initial amount for a secured credit card, and then make the payments on the secured credit card.





I'm not in a good mood, so I apologize if my tone is rough - but this really is the correct answer.|||If you are a member of a credit union they can help you out by having you co-sign for the card, or use a card with a deposit.





Although, unless your kid has a job it may still be difficult for them to get a credit card. Unless they are paying the balance themselves I am not sure how it would be teaching responsible credit use.|||You can't get a credit card solely in the name of a minor, because they cannot legally enter into a contract, so no legitimate company will extend credit to him. You'll have to get a card established in your name and add him onto the account as a secondary user. Once he turns 18 he can get his own account set up, but will be faced with high interest rates and possible yearly fees due to his lack of credit history. Younger people have a much higher rate of default on such accounts and are considered by lenders to be very risky, which is another factor working against him.|||http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/prepa鈥?/a>





Here is a credit card designed for teens by Visa.|||Madam,


PLEASE do not allow you kids to touch credit cards Do you know that 20 - 25% of all college grads are filling or considering filling Bankruptcy due to excessive loans credit cards car loans?


Do you want your kids Boomeranging to the house for 5 years. your kids don't need credit scores they need financial knowledge that the banks don't want them to know.


your kids need to learn cash in =s cash out then stop buying. learn a budget and act on it.


visit daveramsey.com to learn about snakes creditcards and banks. save your kid NO credit card. banks want 17 yr olds as credit slaves do you?|||u need a co signer - one who will pay if you dont|||No credit card company will give him a credit card untill he is 18. That is the law.





Unless, you want to sign off on him being a user on one of your credit cards. Even that is not his credit its yours.





There is nothing else you can do.|||not a good idea...he can wait

No comments:

Post a Comment