Sunday, December 4, 2011

Do credit card payments count as a gift?

My father offered to pay my credit card off. If he sends a check for $18,000 directly to the credit card company, does he need to report it as a gift?|||Yes, that would be a gift. A payment by him directly to a school for your tuition, or to a medical facility for medical expenses, wouldn't be.|||Of course he does.





He just made a $6000 taxable gift to you and needs to file a form 709.|||WOW! $18,000?!?! Can I have your dad adopt me? :)





I would call his accountant (someone that can cut a check like that has to have an accountant) and ask him\her. If he doesn't have an accountant then maybe ask someplace like H%26amp;R Block.|||Man...I'm sooo jealous...wish I had your dad! (sorry...I don't know the answer to your question, but just had to throw that in!)|||If your mother is still in the picture, they can give you a gift of up to $24,000 without having to file a gift tax return.





Also, if you are married, your dad can give $12,000 to you, and $12,000 to your spouse without triggering a gift tax return.





In any event, even if he is required to actually file a gift tax return, he probably won't owe any money on it because of his lifetime exclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment